Dorchester Illustration no. 2264 Dorchester Ice Cream
It just seems like the right time of year to think about ice cream, especially ice cream in Dorchester. From earlier in the year, we know that Buddy Seymourian was the creator of the Seymour ice cream and the Nutty Buddy. His Dorchester ice cream company provided soda fountain display cards featuring his products.
The company was housed in the three-story brick building on Ericsson Street in Port Norfolk next to the building where the Boston Winery is now located. Just behind the brick building is the building with the monitor top that now houses the Boston Harbor Distillery.
All these buildings were part of the industrial complex at the northern end of Port Norfolk that was developed in the 1850s by the Putnam Horseshoe Nail Company, later taken over by the Lawley Shipyard, manufacturer of luxury sailboats and motor yachts.
Port Norfolk and the rest of the Neponset area of Dorchester saw an increase in development after the construction of the bridge at Granite Avenue. The bridge denied access Lower Mills landing by larger ships, and the port at Port Norfolk began to grow. The introduction of the Old Colony Railroad in the 1840s encouraged further development. Dorchester was part of Norfolk County prior 1870 when it was annexed to the city of Boston, and the name of Port Norfolk came to be used for this area that was now a major port in Norfolk County. In addition to Putnam Nail at the northern of the peninsula, the Port saw the introduction of the Stearns Lumber Yard at the southern and easterly sides of the peninsula and the Frost Coal Company next to the railroad bridge that crossed the river to Quincy.
The archive of these historical posts can be viewed on the blog at www.dorchesterhistoricalsociety.org